Covering 20,000 sq m of new accommodation the scheme delivers improved facilities for teaching courses including literacy, language and numeracy skills, foundation programmes, computing skills and art, design and media courses. The project also provides a nursery, learning resource centre, and, a large internal courtyard, providing students with an open space for recreation.
The Evolve team have also delivered a number of Summer Works projects, Skills Centre and works at the Hempstead Campus.
Key environmental features included in the Watford Campus redevelopment included:
- A green roof provides an insulation layer, reducing heat gain in the summer & heat loss in the winter & protecting the roof membrane, extending its life & reducing maintenance.
- Solar heating on the roof provides hot water for the building.
- A biomass boiler supports four gas boilers.
- Rainwater harvesting provides filtered water for toilet flushing.
- The campus has also been designed to retain rainwater, delaying flow into the sewer system & so helping to reduce pressure on the sewer system during heavy rain.
- Internal lighting has automatic switches, which are activated by ambient light levels & movement.
- A brise soleil system provides solar shading for the street, atrium & refectory areas.
Evolve Services: Cost Management, CDM Co-ordination